Category: Sustainable Works
The inaugural Sustainable Business Council’s Industry Achievement Awards will be held at Lexus Santa Monica on April 18th, 2012, which coincides with Earth Day. The goal of these awards is to showcase Southern California’s sustainable business community who are a vital part of the state’s overall economy. These awards will provide an opportunity to salute individuals and businesses for their sustainable contributions to the marketplace and the community.
The following SBC Industry Achievement Awards will be presented:
- SBC’s Lifetime Achievement in Sustainability Award
- SBC’s Lifetime Business Achievement Award
- SBC’s People’s Choice Award: Inaugural Category: Sustainable Restaurants
- SBC’s Sustainable Business Award
The evening’s festivities will feature:
- Networking opportunities with sustainable business leaders.
- Sustainable restaurant food tasting as part of the People’s Choice Sustainable Restaurant Judging.
- Sustainable wine tasting.
- Inspirational special talks from SBC’s Lifetime Achievement Award recipients.
- An awards ceremony for the inaugural award recipients.
- Delicious dessert buffet and libations.
- Raffle draw for special Lexus-hybrid weekend getaway.
- Drive and rides of the latest hybrid vehicles from Lexus.
- And some yet to be publicly announced surprises!
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and for ticket information, click here.
LAcarGUY has shows its support of Sustainable Works is through participation in the annual fundraising event. For the past two years, Lexus Santa Monica has been a title sponsor for this event. For the event this year, we are donating the use of the gorgeous Lexus Showroom. Tickets are on sale now! General: $75 in Advance, $90 at the Door, Member: $60 in Advance, $75 at the Door and Students: $30 in Advance, $45 at the Door. At the silent auction, participants can bid on experiential items such as Marina Del Rey parasailing, Segway LA rentals, and Trapeze School New York training.
The event will also feature Toyota and Lexus’ current line up of 5 hybrid vehicles including the new sporty 2012 Lexus CT 200h. We also encourage you to be part of our Driving Green program. Purchase a hybrid from our LAcarGUY.com/green/driving-green sight and we will donate $100 to a local charity selected by you.
As part of LAcarGUY’s continued commitment to the environment, Lexus Santa Monica recently completed Sustainable Work’s recognized Business Greening Program. The goal of the program was the increase the dealership’s resource efficiency, reduce waste and improve the “green” bottom line.
Working together with Sustainable Works, who provided on-site assessment, substantial resources, and employee education over a 2-month period, Lexus Santa Monica was able to achieve the following significant results:
*Eco-procurement increase 100%
*Energy reduction 8%
*Waste reduction 50%
*Toxic chemical cleaning reduction 56%
The steps taken to complete the Business Greening Program included simple strategies like eliminating Styrofoam cups and plates in the staff room, to the more complex like reducing the number of toxic chemicals used in cleaning products from nine to four. Other measures included:
*Purchased 100% Post Consumer Recycled paper and notepads
*Switched to FSC certified paper towels
*Added a new Energy Star dishwasher to the employee break room
*Increase the number and variety of recycling bins throughout the dealership to separate cans, glass, mixed paper, plastic and cardboard
*Provided separate containers for batteries, CFLs, and other electronics containing hazardous materials
*Implemented the use of “Certified Green” hand soaps, glass cleaner, and multi-purpose cleaners
LAcarGUY strongly believes that these initiatives go farther beyond simply greening a business. The hope is to increase awareness that even small changes can improve the health of employees, the community, and the planet.
Stop by Lexus Santa Monica on Thursday, October 6th between 6-11pm and support a great cause.
LAcarGUY is proud to announce that they will be honored with the grand prize at the 2011 Sustainable Quality Awards (SQA) at the Sheraton Santa Monica from 11am – 2pm on Wednesday, April 27th. The SQAs, a partnership between the Santa Monica Chamber of Commerce, Sustainable Works and the City of Santa Monica, celebrates local business achievement in economic development, social responsibility, and stewardship of the environment.
LAcarGUY is the first automotive dealership to win an SQA grand prize reinforcing the company’s leadership in an industry not known for its earth friendly practices. The grand prize was based on a number of factors including:
• LAcarGUY is #1 Hybrid dealer in the world, and Toyota Santa Monica is the #1 Prius dealership in the world.
• LAcarGUY offers vehicles at varied price points that utilize different energy sources (gasoline, hybrid, electric) lending itself to all economic conditions and customer choice.
• Toyota Santa Monica won the coveted Environmental Sustainability Award presented by Senator Pavley’s office.
• LAcarGUY was the first automotive dealership in the country to install the “Level 2” SAE J-1772 EV chargers for the new plug-in hybrid and battery electric vehicles.
• LAcarGUY is providing open access to the chargers at no cost in order to facilitate the adoption of electric vehicles.
• Lexus Santa Monica is the #1 Lexus Hybrid Dealer in the U.S.
• LAcarGUY spent close to $15 million renovating the Lexus Santa Monica dealership instead of tearing it down.
• In January 2011, a major LED retrofit was executed at Lexus Santa Monica.
• LAcarGUY created the position of Manager of the Environment, a Green Team and a Green Newsletter that includes tips for employees on how to conserve energy in the office and at home.
• LAcarGUY has a long history of giving back to the community, and in 2010 employees volunteered at 15 events for a total of 650+ pro-bono hours.
• In 2010 LAcarGUY donated $200k to a side range of environmental charities including Heal the Bay, Environmental Media Association, Global Green, Tree People and Sustainable Works.
The 16th Annual Sustainable Quality Awards are Santa Monica’s most prestigious environmental event, and will be presented by LACarGUY and Morley Builders at the Sheraton Santa Monica on April 27th, 2011. Sarah Backhouse, host of Discovery’s “Planet 100″ show is the emcee, and Evan Kleiman, host of Good Food on KCRW will give the luncheon keynote.
Please take a few minutes and enjoy some of the photos from a few of our events:
LAcarGUY doesn’t just talk the talk when it comes to living green, we embrace it with arms wide open! Over the years we have done many things to help minimize our carbon footprint, and with our new Open Charging Stations, helping others as well.
For the Holiday Season LAcarGUY are working with Sustainable Works to have Zero Waste BBQ’s at all ten of our dealerships and state-of-the-art body centers. We are not only leading by example, but also teaching others to follow in our footsteps as well.
In 2008, LAcarGUY completed the Sustainable Works Business Greening Program, which resulted in a fifty percent landfill waste reduction after implementing companywide recycling programs.
In working with Sustainable Works we are able to divert more than 90% of the waste generated for the holiday BBQ’s from landfills by recycling and composting.
We’d like to thank those that joined us this year at our events and are always looking for suggestions of how we can be more responsible to the environment, we look forward to doing even more great things in 2011.
LAcarGUY will be the Platinum sponsor at the 2009 2nd annual Sustainable Works Fundraiser.
Our relationship with Sustainable Works has helped us to reduce the environmental impact of our 9 dealerships. We feel strongly about helping them continue their mission of fostering a culture of sustainability in cities, colleges and businesses. Please join us in supporting this extremely important cause.
Lexus Santa Monica is participating in SW Santa Monica Business Greening Certification program which helps businesses increase resource efficiency and "green their bottom-line." This one year program will help Lexus Santa Monica save money by incorporating practices that result in cleaner air and water, less waste and pollution, conservation of energy and natural resources, less traffic and improved quality of life for workers. This program provides the tools we need to implement the environmental actions into our everyday lives. LAcarGUY recognizes the benefits of implementing sustainable practices that save money, increase efficiency, improves employee health and morale, and increase customer loyalty. A green business is a smart business, and smart businesses run successful operations while protecting the environment and which sustains our economy.
LAcarGUY.com is a proud Platinum sponsor at the 2009 2nd Annual Sustainable Works Fundraiser. Our donation will help continue the sustainable economic development in the City of Santa Monica and allow businesses and students to continue greening efforts by participating in the Sustainable Works Business Greening Certification program.
CLICK HERE For more info on Sustainable Works event, to buy tickets or to volunteer